The intent of the sign ordinance is to enhance the beauty of Murray, to protect the public welfare, and to preserve the aesthetic qualities of the City. Please contact the Planning Department before erecting any signage at 270-762-0350 x. 1130.
No sign shall be placed in the public right-of-way.
When is a Sign Permit required? A sign permit is required prior to the installation, relocation, expansion, construction or structural alteration of any sign.
City of Murray Zoning Ordinances regarding signage click here.
For a sign permit application click here.
Signs are limited to 2 per proprietor, not to exceed 32 square feet each. A $10 permit fee and permit is required.
Political Campaign Signs
Signs are limited to 8 square feet and one sign per candidate, per lot with the bottom of the sign no higher than 2 feet from ground level.
Yard Sale Signs
Permitted only on property of the sale.
- Flashing or blinking
- Mobile signs
- Moving, rotating or flapping signs
- Yard Sale signs, except on property of sale
- Signs lettered in a crude or amateurish fashion
- Inflatable signs and tethered balloons
- Vehicles or trailers (operable or inoperable), which contain advertising and are not used in the daily conduct of business
- Off-premises signage
Appeals may be made to the Board of Zoning Adjustments